BABE™

|
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:08 pm »
December 01, 2011, 06:29:08 pm
|

Re: ON/OFF New Feature
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:39:00 am »
December 02, 2011, 10:39:00 am
Yes, they are aware of this feature request (which has been made a number of times in this forum). The reason it isn't already implemented is that planar reflections require that the entire scene is rendered twice, the second time mirrored, and you can imagine what that does to performance.

(Ferry just told me that after the initial v2 release they first want to experiment with per-object cubemaps, and after that they would like to investigate options for planar reflections - preferably without crippling performance too much)

RT-Visualization

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:02:00 pm »
December 02, 2011, 12:02:00 pm
Instead of mirrored geometry ( Playstation2 style and in general this is used in game making ) it will be a good idea ( for static objects of course ) to be able to create for an object a cubemap that will emulate the reflections...something similar is used in UDK

Chrome Material (Part 1) - UDK Tutorials by Javahawk

Chrome Material (Part 2) - UDK Tutorials by Javahawk

Since right now you don't have so many animated stuff in the scene you can use this method to simulate reflections and get very good results, because it will not be geometry but simply a map on a surface

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »
December 02, 2011, 12:38:56 pm
Yes, you're right - this is what I mean by "per-object cubemaps" above. It tends to work well with objects up to the size of a car (and this is incidentally how local reflections work for racing cars in Need for Speed for example).

dbalex

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:25:55 pm »
January 10, 2012, 07:25:55 pm
12 hours with bad reflections vs. 24 hours with good reflections. 
Which is better?

to have both choices ;)

It would be great to have a superior quality for when you have more time. I know that that's what V-ray, thearender,... are for, but the easy movie tools of lumion are the key to a good animation. You can try out at normal settings and render the whole movie, when happy you turn on planar reflections, global illumination, ..., whatever.  I know it's not really going with the whole lumion spirit of really fast movies but in rendering you have 2 different times you loose: the time you work on it and the time your pc works on it. Lumion is fast at both but I would use it even more if it still was really easy and fast to prepare a model but then take a little more time for the rendering. It's not me but the computer working in that case so if I have another computer to render on I don't really care about that no? (only if your deadline is not too short of course)  ;)