This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: Lumion scenes in Autodesk's Design Review iPad app?  (Read 6194 times)

Member35461

Lumion scenes in Autodesk's Design Review iPad app?
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:28:39 pm »
April 03, 2012, 06:28:39 pm
Hello,
So I am new here and wondering if this is the product thats right for our company. We'd like to take our MEP models and be able to view them in the field via iPads. Im thinking this program was used to create a sample model for Autodesk's Design Review mobile app. I have downloaded the revit plug-in to create a dae file.
Do I now need the Lumion program to export to a dwf? (dwf is what is used for ipad viewing thru autodesk's cloud).
Can I just get Lumion Basic or Ultimate to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Roger

Re: Lumion Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:37:21 pm »
April 03, 2012, 06:37:21 pm
Hi Roger, sorry to disappoint you but unfortunately Lumion only works on Windows PCs with fast graphics cards. It is not possible to export scenes either; Lumion was primarily conceived for rendering movies, still images and for real-time 3D presentations.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Member35461

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:44:12 pm »
April 03, 2012, 06:44:12 pm
So exporting to a dae from Revit just allows you to create "pictures" or visuals? Why does it let you export to dwf? What would you do with that? Im confused ???

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »
April 03, 2012, 07:04:56 pm
It's a one-way street... You can only import 3D models in Lumion but you can't export anything (apart from images and videos of course).

The 3D model import formats are described on the following page:
http://lumion3d.com/specs/

So you could export a model from Revit in DAE format, import it in Lumion and render a movie of your model which you could transfer to your iPad. But it would obviously not be interactive in any way.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Re: Lumion scenes in Autodesk's Design Review iPad app?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:11:24 pm »
April 03, 2012, 07:11:24 pm
Im thinking this program [Lumion] was used to create a sample model for Autodesk's Design Review mobile app.

This is not the case. Lumion can't be used for 3D modelling purposes. You can only import models made in CAD applications in Lumion, and the idea is to add entourage, trees, cars, lights, water, effects etc which can then be rendered as still images/videos. Alternatively, you can bring a Windows-based laptop with a fast graphics card along for real-time 3D presentations of your Lumion scene during site meetings.

However, in your case, it sounds like you simply need to export a DWF file from Revit which should be uploaded to AutoDesk's cloud service. You'll then be able to inspect the DWF file on your iPad via Autodesk's free Design Review mobile app.

Member35461

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:16:32 pm »
April 03, 2012, 07:16:32 pm
oohhhhh ok. I thought maybe it could be used on the iPad as a viewing tool. I have the Design Review app and theres a sample model on there. This exact one...

http://lumion3d.com/forum/importing/how-to-use-collada-revit-exporter/

The sample file in the app is a dwf. I had just assumed that I could get the same result with any other model.

Member35461

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »
April 03, 2012, 07:20:14 pm
This is not the case. Lumion can't be used for 3D modelling purposes. You can only import models made in CAD applications in Lumion, and the idea is to add entourage, trees, cars, lights, water, effects etc which can then be rendered as still images/videos. Alternatively, you can bring a Windows-based laptop with a fast graphics card along for real-time 3D presentations of your Lumion scene during site meetings.

However, in your case, it sounds like you simply need to export a DWF file from Revit which should be uploaded to AutoDesk's cloud service. You'll then be able to inspect the DWF file on your iPad via Autodesk's free Design Review mobile app.

Ya, I have done that. The problem is that when viewing the sample model on the app, you can "walk thru" the house, thru walls and windows. When I upload to the cloud and view a dwf that I created, it wont let me walk thru the model. When I zoom in, it just zooms in on a wall or whatever, doesnt aloow pass thru.
Im wondering how the sample model was created to allow that feature

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:37:05 pm »
April 03, 2012, 07:37:05 pm
I have the Design Review app and theres a sample model on there. This exact one...

http://lumion3d.com/forum/importing/how-to-use-collada-revit-exporter/
That's a sample model which is included in Revit.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:10 pm »
April 03, 2012, 07:39:10 pm
Ya, I have done that. The problem is that when viewing the sample model on the app, you can "walk thru" the house, thru walls and windows. When I upload to the cloud and view a dwf that I created, it wont let me walk thru the model. When I zoom in, it just zooms in on a wall or whatever, doesnt aloow pass thru.
I think it's just a question of exporting the DWF file from Revit with the correct 3D export settings, but you're probably better off asking this question in a Revit/AutoDesk forum:

http://feedback.autodesk.com/cloudservices/topics/3d_export_from_revit_doesnt_work?from_gsfn=true

Member35461

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:16 pm »
April 03, 2012, 07:42:16 pm
You are right and I have asked the question. Still waiting on an answer lol.
Thanks so much for all your replies and help!
-Roger

Member918

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17:54 pm »
April 03, 2012, 11:17:54 pm
You are right and I have asked the question. Still waiting on an answer lol.
Thanks so much for all your replies and help!
-Roger

Check the RevitForum.org, I posted the solution.

Best  ;)

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:42 am »
April 04, 2012, 10:53:42 am
Thanks for sharing the solution, cbarch. Here's a direct link for lazy people :)

http://www.revitforum.org/coordination-tools/7508-ipad-design-review-fly-through-question-2.html