This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: Background rendering  (Read 5910 times)

Background rendering
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:10:17 pm »
February 27, 2012, 03:10:17 pm
Is very annoying and a waste of time when you are rendering a movie in Lumion because you need to let the window open and untoched (if not the whole process stops and hangs forever).

You can not use your computer for anything at all !!.

In my case is complicated because I don't have an extra computer to work in.

Can you tell me please if is there a way to avoid this?  :'(
Can you change this for future releases?

Thanks.
JM

Re: Annoying
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:20:30 pm »
February 27, 2012, 03:20:30 pm
Hi JM, this has been discussed many times previously.

You can switch to other windows while it is rendering (although this will pause the process) - just make sure that you avoid resizing or moving the Lumion window.

Background rendering was one of the first things that the developers tested while developing Lumion, but unfortunately Windows became very unresponsive while Lumion was rendering in the background. So unresponsive that you could hardly do anything, so out of necessity rendering currently only occurs while the Lumion window is active.

What I think most people do is to render 640x360 movies until they're happy with the result, and then let their PCs render the high quality, full resolution movies at night.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Re: Background rendering
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »
February 27, 2012, 03:38:25 pm
... ok ... thanks ....  :-\

Member918

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:14:35 pm »
February 27, 2012, 04:14:35 pm
I think that as Lumion becomes a more mainstream production tool in firms with many large projects, a method for "GPU renderfarming" or multi-machine rendering would be highly effective and probably a requirement.

We really can't justify dedicated machine(s) which do nothing but render, or only render at night. It just isn't realistic from a business perspective.

Funny, coming from a 3dsMax/Backburner / renderfarm background, we saw Lumion as a much faster RT alternative. But it runs into the same bottlenecks which caused the invention and use of renderfarms in Raytracing workflows.....

Edit: One interesting thing that Autodesk has recently introduced for Revit is "Render in Cloud" built in app, that sends the scene to the Cloud and renders, leaving the workstation free to continue running/working. Adesk has not exposed the hardware they use, but I suspect it is GPU / I-Ray based stuff. It is VERY fast.

Member2990

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »
February 27, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
Even though this has been discussed plenty, I think it's good to bring the issue up to see how people are faring and in which direction development is headed. The latter, I guess, depends on the market Act3D is targeting.
For a one-girl/man-show who has a few hours left before being hit by a deadline, multitasking could be a life-saver. Once a model finally looks good, in most scenarios some stills are taken, maybe to be photoshopped where necessary, plans are finished, and layouts are to be made and printed. Now if a video could be rendered in the meantime that would just be great, and probably make a difference with the client. Having or not having a video sometimes constitutes the difference between a decent and a great presentation.
For teams, multitasking is a different story, more in a sense of being able to have multiple people working on the same model. Each could thus contribute a specific sub-set of the design, like green areas, placing stock objects and imported models.
I hope Lumion is going to feature solutions for both user-groups in the future.
Btw devs, are there any plans to offer Lumion functionality on OnLive desktop?

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:52:22 pm »
February 27, 2012, 05:52:22 pm
Btw devs, are there any plans to offer Lumion functionality on OnLive desktop?

Not that I know of. Remko may be able to provide more details though.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Member1171

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:30 pm »
February 27, 2012, 07:31:30 pm
On the other hand, having a laptop at hand to do the daily routine while my desktop is rendering was not a good idea for me today.

I put the laptop on my desk so that once in a while I could have a look at what Lumion is doing and once incidentally pressed the escape button on my desktop keyboard instead of the laptop keyboard.

Good thing is that whatever was rendered into the movie until then, could be run nicely (it was a 640x360 preview quality anyway - I could have ended up swearing big time if it's a final deadline and I do this)
Gai...